Top 10 Receipt Scanner Apps: Get Rewards for Shopping
Receipt scanner apps are often used by businesses and consumers to track ongoing expenses. However, some apps go above and beyond by rewarding you for everyday purchases. Simply scan your receipt with your smartphone and earn points and bonuses that can be redeemed for cash, gift cards and more.
Read: 3 Signs You’re Serious About Improving Your Credit Score
10 Best Receipt Scanner Apps for Rewards
Many receipt reader apps offer rewards points and cash back options. Here are 10 options and they are the best.
1. Claim Rewards: For the best free gift cards
With Fetch Rewards, you can earn a minimum of 25 reward points by scanning digital and paper receipts – a minimum of 35 points on eligible purchases. It also offers a referral bonus of 2000 points to you and the person who signs up. Each point is worth $0.001 or a tenth of a penny.
You can redeem your points for gift cards in $3, $5, $10, $25, and $50 increments. With Fetch, you can choose from a variety of brands, including Amazon, Papa Johns, Outback Steakhouse, and more.
- You can choose from a large selection of gift cards
- Referral bonuses available
- Works with paper and digital receipts
- Minimum point conversion amount
- Low points per scan
2. TopCashback: Best for referral bonuses
TopCashback offers a $10 referral bonus every time a friend signs up. Get cashback on purchases made through TopCashback’s network of over 4,400 merchants. Simply click on the appropriate e-commerce storefront through the TopCashback website.
- $10 referral bonus
- Send your cashback offers directly to your bank or PayPal account
- You get a 5% bonus when you pay with a virtual Visa prepaid debit card or choose a gift card
- Online receipts only
- It does not work on all e-commerce sites
- Cashback offers are not available until the merchant’s return policy expires
3. Rakuten App: Best for store coverage
The Rakuten app lets you earn money on certain in-store and online purchases. With a network of over 3,500 stores, Rakuten offers a wide range of options for accepting cashback transactions.
When shopping, simply tap the relevant offer in the Rakuten app and add your credit or debit card to the offer. Then pay for your purchase with the same card to receive instant cash back into your Rakuten account.
- $5 minimum payout threshold
- Online and in-store cashback option
- More than 3,500 partner stores
- Quarterly payments
- Limited payment options
4. Drop App: Best for speed and convenience
The Drop app allows you to link your credit and debit cards to the app. You don’t need to scan your receipts to start earning points. Instead, the app automatically completes the transactions for you and rewards appropriate purchases with Drop points. Each roll point is worth $0.001.
Redemption opportunities start after collecting 25,000 points – $25. You can choose from a variety of digital gift cards when you redeem your Throw Points.
- Automatically sync your credit and debit cards
- Get 1000 points automatically every month if you link at least one card to your account
- High payout minimum
- Limited payment options
5. Dosh App: Best for charitable giving
The Dosh app connects to your Venmo account, credit cards, and debit cards. Every time you make an eligible purchase, Dosh automatically deposits money into your Dosh account. Unlike other apps, you don’t have to worry about point conversions or limited payout options.
Once you have at least $25 in your Dosh account, you can send money directly to your bank account, donate to charity, or transfer it to your PayPal or Venmo account.
- Multiple ways to withdraw cash, including the option to donate to charity
- There’s no need to scan a receipt when you link it to your Venmo account, credit card, or debit card
- The minimum payout threshold is $25
- Cashback deals are limited to partner companies
6. Checkout 51: Best for versatility
With Checkout 51, you’ll receive a new list of deals every Thursday with a variety of cash-back eligible items. Unlike other apps, these offers are not limited to specific stores. Simply tap the relevant offers before scanning your receipt. You can take advantage of the “Choose Your Own Offer” features and get $0.25-$0.50 off the product of your choice.
Checkout 51 lets you cash out when your account reaches $20. Payment options include PayPal and paper check.
- Choose from several different payment options
- Allows you to select an item for cashback
- Multiple payment options
- Limited cashback eligible products
- High payout minimum
7. Coupons.com App: For the best discounts
Coupons.com offers more than discounts on consumer goods. You can also access cash back offers by tapping the offers and scanning your receipt. It also lets you link your store loyalty card to get automatic cashback rewards.
Coupons.com stands out because it has no minimum payout amount. When you’re ready to access your money, click it in the app and it will automatically be transferred to your PayPal account.
- There is no minimum payout amount
- Links to the store’s loyalty card
- Access selected discounts from the same app
8. ReceiptPal App: For the best sweepstakes
With ReceiptPal, you can earn points for virtually every purchase with a receipt. ReceiptPal also has integrations that scan incoming emails for receipts. Scanned receipts earn points that can be redeemed for gift cards in $5 increments.
ReceiptPal limits the weekly total points. If you exceed the limit, you will receive two prize draws for each receipt scanned. Sweepstakes winners earn $250.
- There are no restrictions on which stores you can earn points at
- Low payout threshold
- $250 sweepstakes entries available if you exceed your weekly scan limit
- Limited amount of points per week
- Cash offers are limited to gift cards
9. Trunow App: Best for refueling
Trunow helps you find the cheapest gas station on your route. When you’re done with the fuel, you’ll need to take a photo of the receipt. You get 2% cashback from Trunow partner stations and 1% cashback from all other gas stations. Trunow also offers cash back offers at select restaurants, convenience stores and grocery stores.
You can redeem points at qualifying gas stations or choose a cash back option using PayPal once you’ve reached the $5 minimum. Keep in mind that Trunow cuts your point value in half when you choose the cash back option.
- Use the app to find the best gas deals near you
- Earn points at eligible local businesses such as restaurants and grocery stores
- Low payout threshold
- Limited points redemption options
- You can lose 50% of your total value if you choose the cashback option
10. Makeena: Best for the planet
Available on both the Android and Apple stores, Makeena is a scanner app that prioritizes healthy and environmentally friendly products. The process is a bit more involved than other apps on this list. To earn points, you must scan the barcode of each eligible item and then take a photo of the receipt.
Makeena only works with a narrow list of affiliated brands. However, this does not limit where you can purchase these products. With Makeena, you can withdraw cash when you reach $20 worth of points. You can transfer the money to your PayPal or Venmo account.
- It encourages healthy and environmentally conscious purchasing decisions
- You can get cash back through PayPal or Venmo
- Boring scanning process
- A narrow range of items that can be scanned
All the receipt reader apps on this list provide users with a solid rewards bonus. In the end, you need to choose the app that best suits your goals. Don’t be afraid to mix and match different receipt apps for optimal results.
Here are some questions people often ask about receipt reader apps.
- What is the best free receipt scanner app for rewards?
- You can choose Trunow if the price of gas is your number one concern. Or if health and the environment are important to you, Makeena may be a better fit. The best receipt scanner app meets your unique needs.
- How do I scan my reward receipts?
- Most receipt scanner apps allow you to scan receipts with your smartphone camera. Some also allow you to link your credit or debit card to automatically register your purchases.
- Which app gives you money for scanning receipts?
- Coupons.com, Makeena, Checkout 51, Trunow and ReceiptPal offer cash rewards for scanning eligible receipts.
David Granahan contributed to this article.
Information correct as of March 7, 2023 and subject to change.