Indiana Jones 5 director addresses Disney+ spin-off casting questions
Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny director James Mangold has asked questions about the upcoming Disney+ spin-off series.
Mangold, who previously made Ford vs. Ferrarifirst tweeted on Monday to deny rumors that an alternate ending for the fifth installment in the Indy franchise had been filmed, but a user changed the subject to the planned TV spin-off.
Related: The Indiana Jones boss reflects on the fourth film’s poor reception
When asked if Harrison Ford or Phoebe Waller-Bridge would appear in the currently untitled Disney+ show, Mangold replied, “Neither.” before adding: “I have already said (above) that none of the characters you mention are in the proposed show. It’s not up to me to give away more than that just yet. Sorry!”
The film, which is slated for a June 2023 release, sees Indy (Ford) battling ex-Nazis (again) against the backdrop of the Space Race, with the cast including Antonio Banderas, Boyd Holbrook and a villainous Mads Mikkelsen.
It is set to be Ford’s final appearance as the iconic adventurer, and marks the culmination of his tenure that began with the 1981 Raiders of the Lost Ark. Speaking about donning the fedora one last time, Ford said: “I just thought it would be nice to see one where Indiana Jones was at the end of his journey.
Related: Indiana Jones star Ke Huy Quan defends Temple of Doom over accusations of racism
“It became very important to me to figure out how to make this a film about a hero at sunset. The issues I raised about Indy’s age were not things I thought were addressed in the material being developed at the time. There were “old” jokes, but the actual material wasn’t about that.
“For me, whatever your greatest responsibility is, you should fly straight towards it. If you try to pretend it’s not there, you end up getting slings and arrows all over the place, he added.
Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny is scheduled to be released on June 23, 2023.