Disney+ Announces Historic Finale for Bad Batch Season 2 Release
Star Wars will take a new direction with the release of The Bad Batch during its run on Disney+, making history in the process.
Fans recently got their eyes on the first trailer for Season 2 of The Bad Batch thanks to an unexpected post on the Disney+ website, showing fans what Hunter, Wrecker, Omega and the team must face across the galaxy. This season will even include a couple of classic Star Wars clones like Commander Cody from the original trilogy and Captain Rex from The Clone Warstouches on many 21st century Star Wars story threads.
The show will arrive on Disney+ shortly after the new year begins, complete with the first two episodes that will both arrive on the streaming network on January 4th.
But while a two-episode premiere is far from unusual in Disney’s streaming era, The Bad Batch will take a more unique route with the release of later episodes as well.
Double final release for The Bad Batch
According to the official press release for Star Wars: The Bad Batch Season 2, the season ends on March 29 with both episode 15 and episode 16 being released at the same time. This is the first time a Disney+ show has released two episodes in the last week of the season.
Additionally, on top of the double season opener and double season finale, there will be a third instance of two episodes premiering simultaneously for the midseason finale on February 8 with episode 7 and episode 8.
- January 4 – Episode 201 “Spoils of War” & Episode 202 “Ruins of War”
- February 8 – Episode 207 “The Clone Conspiracy” & Episode 208 “Truth and Consequences”
- March 29 – Episode 215 “The Summit” & Episode 216 “Plan 99”
For reference, below are nearly a dozen shows from Marvel, Star Wars and other franchises under Disney’s watch that have had multiple episodes in season premieres:
- WandaVision: 2-episode season premiere
- The right things: 2-episode season premiere
- The Mysterious Benedict Society: Season 1, season premiere in 2 episodes; Season 2, 2 episode season premiere
- Hawkeye: 2-episode season premiere
- Obi-Wan Kenobi: Season premiere in 2 episodes
- Andor: 3-episode season premiere
- Willow: 2-episode season premiere
- National Treasure: Edge of History: 2-episode season premiere
- The Santa Clauses: 2-episode season premiere
- Monsters at work: 2-episode season premiere
- The proud family: Louder and prouder: Season premiere in 2 episodes
Big events for Bad Batch season 2 premiere?
Looking at the history of all television shows as a whole, fans have seen a number of instances where a show ended with two episodes in one night. For example, ABCs Agents of SHIELD actually used this tactic four separate times with seasons 2 and 3 along with seasons 6 and 7, all of which aired within the last decade.
The biggest thing to gather from this case is that The Bad Batch has some kind of big event planned for the final two episodes of the season, while also shortening the overall length of Season 2 on Disney+. Unfortunately, the episode titles don’t do much to tease any actual story details with only one trailer released so far, though “Plan 99” should tease something pretty personal for Clone Force 99.
All that is clear is that Lucasfilm has some big plans The Bad Batchits next set of episodes, which should make big events out of the three weeks of double-episode premieres.
The Bad Batch Season 2 will premiere with two episodes on Disney+ on January 4, 2023.